The cathedral exterior
There are several entrances (portals) to the cathedral: the three north portals, the south portal known as the "Porche de la Vièrge" and the magnificent west portal.
The north portals
There are three portals on the cathedral's north side, "La façade septentrionale".. On the far right is the "Porche des Baptêmes", which leads to the north nave. The portal comprises a double door separated by a trumeau. Above the doors in a triangular pediment are the arms of Canon Pierre du Quenquis, whilst at the top of the pediment are the arms of Jean V with the motto "A ma vie" and the crest of his wife Jeanne de France in a diamond-shaped lozenge carried by a dove. Just below this are the arms of Monseigneur Bertrand de Rosmadec with the motto "En Bon Espoir". To the left and right of the pediment are the arms of the Barons of Nėvet and Guengat. The "Porche de la Chandeleur" is located at the northern end of the transept and was built between 1475 and 1479 by the mason Pierre Le Goaraguer and his son Guillaume. The single door is surmounted by a triangular pediment and the arch's external voussures are decorated with carvings of acanthus leaves. Above the door is an ornate finial above which is a "hermine passant" (i.e., a stoat passant). The third portal, situated between the "Porche des Baptêmes" and the "Porche de la Chandeleur", is small and in earlier times gave access to the ossuary and cemetery; it is no longer used.
The western façade of Saint-Corentin cathedral and the west portal
The west façade and portal
The west façade of the cathedral comprises two great spires and a magnificent portal with a series of angels decorating the arch's voussoirs. On the trumeau is a statue of Christ giving a blessing whilst holding a globe and treading on a grimacing demon. Before 1793, the sculpture on the trumeau had been an equestrian figure in granite of Jean V but that was destroyed in that year. At the top of an arch between the two spires there is a statue of the legendary King Gradlon The first stone of the western facade was laid on the 26th July 1424 by Monseigneur Bertrand de Rosmadec in the presence of a representative of Jean V, the Duke of Bretagne. Both within and without the triangular pediment above the voussoirs, are many crests and mottos including the crest of the helmeted lion of Montfort holding a standard bearing the words "Malo au riche duc!", the battle-cry of Breton dukes, the arms of Jean V, the Duke of Bretagne's three sons, the crest of Jeanne de France, Guillaume de Rosmadec, Bertrand de Rosmadec, the barons of Nėvet with the motto "Pėrag?" "Pourquoi?" and the motto of the nobles of Bodigneau and Clohars-Fouesnant "A l'aventure!", whilst on the right and near a helmet decorated with valances is the motto of the nobles of Guengat "Lėal à ma Foy" and the arms of the nobles of Quėlenec.
The cathedral's south portal
The south portal is part of the "facade mėridionale" or "south facade" and is known as the "Porche de la Vierge" or the "Porche de Sainte Catherine". It has a statue of the Virgin Mary with child in the tympanum, with angels wafting censers on either side. She is seated and below her feet is the bust of an angel with spread wings. The child she holds is gently stroking a bird which he carries. In a niche in one of the buttresses there is a statue of Catherine of Alexandria carved from kersanton. Above the door is a triangular pediment with three ėcussons ("crests or shields") including the crest of the Duchess Jeanne de France surmounted by the "hermine passante" ("passing stoat"), the emblem of Brittany, with the inscription "A ma vie". Also shown are the arms and mottos of Monseigneur de Rosmadec and Guillaume de Rosmadec. Just outside of the pediment are the crests of the Bodigneau family and the family Quėlennec. The voissoirs in the upper part of the portal's arch depict 8 angels playing instruments. The niches in the lower voissoirs are empty.