|• Density||63/km2 (160/sq mi)|
The name Paderne derives from the lower Latin word Paterni, which means estate of Paterno.
Paderne, or as it was formerly called, Paderna, was an old toponymy, whose origins were in the Lusitanian culture, signifying rough, tough, hard and intractable. The Veiga archaeological crews discovered underground galleries in the settlement that they attributed to prehistoric peoples, although local storytellers indicated that these caverns were used by Moorish peoples as barns or granaries. These galleries were once used as copper mines, but later reused by the peoples that dominated the Algarve: the Phoenicians, Romans, Goths and Arabs.
Around 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) from these structures is the
The castle was taken by Christian forces of King
By regal charter, on 1 January 1305, King
In 1575, the first reference to a parish seat in Paderne occurred, and records from the local authority show that the change from ecclesiastical seat to parish occurred around 1500. The new church continued to be a priory of the Order of Avis, even as the settlement declined in importance, a decline accelerated after the
The castle of Paderne was purchased in 1997 by the Instituto Português do Património Aqruitectónico, or IPPA, the forerunner of the National Registry