Battle of Breadfield

Battle of Breadfield
Part of the Ottoman–Hungarian Wars
Kenyérmezői csata.jpg
DateOctober 13, 1479
The Breadfield (Kenyérmező), in Zsibód, near the River Maros, Transylvania, Kingdom of Hungary
ResultDecisive Hungarian victory[2]

Coa Hungary Country History Mathias Corvinus 1(1458-1490).svg Kingdom of Hungary

Ottoman Empire

Commanders and leaders
Paul Kinizsi
Bartholomew Drágfi
Stephen V Báthory
Vuk Grgurević-Branković
Dmitar Jakšić
Basarab Laiotă cel Bătrân

Ali Koca Bey

12-15,000 men (Hungarians, Serbs, Transylvanian Saxons, Wallachians, Szeklers, and Transylvanian Hungarians)Around 30000 men consisting of Akıncı, Spakh and Asab, and some Janissary
1000-2000 Wallachian troops[1]
Casualties and losses
3,000 killed[citation needed]5,000-9,000 Turkish killed
1,000 Wallachian[citation needed]

The Battle of Breadfield (Hungarian: Kenyérmezei csata, Romanian: Bătălia de la Câmpul Pâinii, Turkish: Ekmek Otlak Savaşı) was the most tremendous conflict fought in Transylvania up to that time in the Ottoman–Hungarian Wars taking place on October 13, 1479, on the Breadfield Zsibód (Şibot) near the Mureş River. The Hungarian army was led by Pál Kinizsi, István Báthory, Vuk Branković, and Basarab Laiotă cel Bătrân.

The result of the battle was an important victory for the Kingdom of Hungary and the Serbian Despotate.


From his ascendence to the Hungarian throne in 1458, King Matthias fought with the Turks, and in 1463, he occupied the northern parts of Bosnia. However, this was not a full-scale war.

Turkish marauders attacked Transylvania and Vojvodina several times between 1474 and 1475. The attacks led to the depopulation of some areas with a number of villages abandoned by their inhabitants.

After the Ottoman–Venetian War (1463–79) in the spring of 1479, a major Ottoman army convened under Szendrő, above all, Akıncıs. When King Matthias was alerted, in the Edict of Gragnica (July.11.), he ordered Stephen V Báthory, the Voivode of Transylvania and his general Pál Kinizsi to mobilize.

The Ottoman army entered Transylvania on October 9, near Kelnek (Câlnic), led by Ali Koca Bey.[2] The Akıncıs attacked a few villages, homesteads and market towns, taking a number of Hungarians, Vlachs and Saxons captive. On October 13, Koca Bey set up his camp in the Breadfield (Kenyérmező), near Zsibót. Koca Bey was obliged into the campaign by the insistence of Basarab cel Tânăr, a Wallachian prince, who himself brought 1,000–2,000 footmen to the cause.

The Turks continued pillaging and taking prisoners, while Báthory and Kinizsi made preparations to set forth against the Turks.